City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Estimate 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been a crucial crossroads, situated at the crossway of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This ended up being understood as the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded prior to 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better place with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (areas further west being disputed in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The current town's first home was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his other half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today known as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later, both helping to discovered a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was assigned in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, however also the seat of justice.
Important legal representatives who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known throughout the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That original colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship space has ended up being an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional physician to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the brand-new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight up until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained numerous members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise escaped from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for flexibility. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted numerous medical facilities to nurse the wounded from those battles, as is related in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a few days in the future the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The sites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the summit of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Agency, a Social Solutions office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall home for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last substantial Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also known as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the primary fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Road west of town near Red Man's Hill and Prospect Hall estate as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a car journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his daddy. He ended up being an important marine leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was instrumental in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley functioned as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the annual Fantastic Frederick Fair, one of the 2 largest agricultural fairs in the State.