City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been a crucial crossroads, situated at the crossway of a major northsouth Indian path and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which becomes part of a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic air travel, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick area became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders arrived.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Path or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Excellent Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian path ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted before the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or simply Frederick's much better area with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being disputed between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The current town's first house was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants also established a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 restricted that westward migration route until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived 2 years later on, both assisting to found a parish which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Essential lawyers who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That initial colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship space has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's City Hall (so the parish stays the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its present building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the backdrop of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a local medical professional to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont became crucial for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight up until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln apprehended numerous members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also escaped from or through Frederick (because Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and seek freedom. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several medical facilities to nurse the wounded from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a couple of days in the future the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Agency, a Social Services workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from among the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last significant Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also called the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies just southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage occurred along the National Roadway west of town near Red Male's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union troops retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his dad. He became a crucial marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his partner Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Great Frederick Fair, among the two largest farming fairs in the State.